What is SharePoint\System account?
- SHAREPOINT\System account is the same account used by application pool of your SharePoint web application in IIS at the time of creation/extension of respective web application.
- This is the account which is used when you run your code in under elevated privileges by SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges.
- When you create/extend a web application in SharePoint and specify an Application Pool then the identity (Network Account) used by that Application pool becomes the SHAREPOINT\System account.
- It is highly recommended that end user should not be allowed to use this account to avoid unexpected errors.
- If you change the identity of App Pool account after creating/extending the SharePoint web application, the new account will not become the SHAREPOINT\System.